On Monday, September 26, 2011, ABC premiered a new daytime talk show that brought food back to the table and into our everyday lives. Now in its third season, “The Chew” is currently enjoying one of its highest rated on record in both total viewers and key women sales demos. As the talk show celebrated its 500th episode yesterday, fans of the ABC version of “All My Children” continued to mourn the loss of their favorite daytime soap opera, which made Susan Lucci, and her character Erica Kane, a household name.
Hosted by celebrity chefs Mario Batali, Michael Symon, and Carla Hall, entertaining expert Clinton Kelly and health and wellness enthusiast Daphne Oz, “The Chew’s” celebratory episode featured a food-filled party that included an assortment of games, on-air memories and a cake to help honor the talkers achievement. Meanwhile, “All My Children” fans are trying to find ways to heal from the recent blow by Prospect Park to not move forward with a new season of its version of “All My Children,” which consistently topped the iTunes and Hulu charts during its 40+ episode run. The production company is suing ABC over claims the network was looking to create a “mega soap” with “Chew” lead-out “General Hospital.” Prospect Park co-founder Jeff Kwatinetz recently decided to take his own company to court over contract matters directly related to “AMC” and sister soap “One Life to Live.”
On her official Facebook page, “All My Children” star Jill Larson (Opal Cortlandt) broke her social media silence after it became apparent earlier this week that Prospect Park was not moving forward with a new season of either “All My Children” or “One Life to Live,” at least “at this time,” according to the actress.
With “All My Children’s” Debbi Morgan confirming that her show (and likely “One Life to Live”) has been canceled after getting word from Prospect Park’s lawyers in the last couple of days, Soap Opera Network once again reached out to Prospect Park to find out if A) Are both shows now officially canceled. B) Is Prospect Park possibly seeking/able to try another reboot down the road. C) How does this cancellation relate to their rights to the shows and D) Do the rights now revert back to ABC.
A representative for the company would only say, “We are not commenting.”
UPDATE: After our report was published, Morgan added to her statements on Twitter where she said, “I guess what really hurts my gut R all the positive proclamations I gave 2 all of U that we’d definitely coming back Bcuz those were the earnest proclamations we’d been given! I’m so very sorry 2c U disappointed yet again & believe me we feel the same!!! Thanks 4 all the support & luv U gave hoping this would work. We never know what’s in God’s plan. I do know there’s always a bigger picture!” Morgan concluded her tweets with, “Thanks For The Memories…”
PREVIOUS: When word came to light that Prospect Park was getting ready to announce it had decided to not move forward with either “All My Children” or “One Life to Live,” as had been expected (The OnLine Network Announces First Season Finales of ‘AMC’ and ‘OLTL’), fans were gearing up for the worst, but what about the actors? When a fan tweeted to “AMC” star Debbi Morgan (Dr. Angela Hubbard), “AMC FB page fans angry, some quitting show and Hulu. Some demanding PP give statement one way or the other. WOW!” the actress responded by saying, “U can imagine how all the cast is feeling being that we’re still in the dark as well…” Morgan’s comments are in direct contrast to her comment on Sunday, October 27, where she sounded more upbeat when she said, “Many R asking when AMC is coming back. Wish I could give a definitive date. All I can give U is what we’re given. The Show ‘Is’ coming back!”
With word that Prospect Park may or may not be in the process of formally announcing plans to not continue with production on “All My Children,” in addition to the previously reported production hiatus for “One Life to Live” and how such a decision may affect the fans who fought so long and hard to get them both back, “OLTL” actress Robin Strasser (Dorian Lord) tweeted in defense of the company without knowing what the ultimate decision may end up being (historically the actors know less information than the soap press when it comes to the company and its planning).
In her message to her near 17,000 followers, Strasser tweeted, “ATTN PLZ! In My Opinion: 1) Whatever transpires #ProspectPark #OLTL #AMC I believe #PP BELIEVED & INVESTED in us & deserve RESPECT for that!”
When pressed for comment on any plans for a formal announcement on the future of either soap, a Prospect Park representative stated to Soap Opera Network, “No announcement planned.”
Earlier today TV Guide‘s Michael Logan tweeted, “Is #ProspectPark ‘shelving’ @allmychildren too? I’m hearing big announcement planned for this Friday. @TOLN @onelifetolive.” The possibility of it happening wouldn’t necessarily come as a surprise considering there has been literally no news about the future of either “All My Children” or “One Life to Live” outside of the early September news that due to the ABC/Prospect Park lawsuit over “OLTL,” the company would be forging ahead solely with “AMC.”
In a video published on their YouTube page and official website, The OnLine Network presents Suzy F*cking Homemaker (“All My Children’s” Cady McClain) having a chat with “One Life to Live’s” Tuc Watkins, using footage from the Sleepy Hollow photo shoot from earlier this year.
Such comedy gold include Homemaker noting that “Tuc” rhymes with “Duck,” putting Waktins on the spot after he previously stated, “I will never wear a stars and stripes speed,” only for her to present him with a photo of him wearing said type of speedo from the ABC incarnation’s archives. Also included are highlights of Watkins consistently using flabbergasted when asked questions about real-life situations.
As previously reported, “One Life to Live” has become an apparent (albeit possibly temporarily) casualty of the lawsuit between Prospect Park and the ABC Television Network, which the latter canceled in April 2011 after opting to restructure its daytime lineup. Erika Slezak, who has portrayed Victoria Lord on the drama series on both the ABC incarnation and the current Prospect Park/The OnLine Network version for more than 40 years, has released a statement on Prospect’s decision to halt production on the soap pending the resolution to its lawsuit against ABC.
Using the Drupal content management platform, Prospect Park’s The OnLine Network has revamped its TOLN.com website, which is the online home of “All My Children” and “One Life to Live.” The new website was first released on Thursday, August 15, before TOLN officially announced its unveiling yesterday. Previously, TOLN.com was an internet hub that solely enabled online viewers of “AMC” and “OLTL” to watch the soaps outside of Hulu’s website. Eventually, TOLN.com, along with AllMyChildren.com and OneLifetoLive.com were all re-directed to Hulu.com. On Friday, August 2, TOLN announced plans to revamp its website in order to provide a “New, User-Friendly Web Portal and App” experience for viewers. It’s unknown when TOLN plans to launch the app, which it said will be available for Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android platforms and will include exclusive clips, interviews, behind-the-scenes footage from each series and provide access to full length episodes. The TOLN app will work on all iOS (3G and Retina Display) and Android devices.
As previously reported, Prospect Park’s The OnLine Network will be presenting the season one finale of “One Life to Live” on Monday, August 19 with the release of episodes 54 and 55 on Hulu, Hulu Plus, iTunes and iTunes Canada.