Since it was first announced that Prospect Park‘s The OnLine Network was looking to once again revive “All My Children” and “One Life to Live,” after they were canceled by ABC in 2011, it has been said that the company planned to take the shows into a sexier and edgier environment. In a recent teaser released by iTunes for its launch of the two soaps, Erika Slezak (Victoria Lord, “OLTL”) is heard saying, “My agent said, ‘What do you want in this contract?’ I said, ‘No nudity!” Fans shouldn’t expect anything too racy on either show as Prospect Park co-founder Rich Frank admitted to Michael Maloney, Contributing Editor at Bauer Publishing for Soaps In Depth, in an interview with Variety. ”We are going to be a little hotter and sexier,” said Frank. He added, “That doesn’t mean we’ll be doing anything that’s offensive. We’re trying to be contemporary and have storylines that are relevant to people’s lives.”
Soaps In Depth is reporting that CBS’ “The Bold and the Beautiful” is about to lose another “core four” member as Susan Flannery (Stephanie Forrester) has informed producers and the shows writing team that she plans to leave the series at the end of her newly signed short-term contract. Flannery, like the departing Ronn Moss (soon-to-be ex-Ridge Forrester), has been with the show since it debuted on March 23, 1987 – more than 25 years ago!
According to In Depth, Flannery opted to sign a new short-term deal in order for the shows writers to adequately write her character out of the series. Unlike Moss, however, viewers shouldn’t expect the show to recast Stephanie Forrester as head writer Bradley Bell indicated they would do with the character of Ridge Forrester sometime down the road.
A representative for the soap did not immediately respond to a request for comment at press time to Soap Opera Network.
On Saturday, August 18, Flannery joined Moss and “The Young and the Restless” stars Doug Davidson (Paul Williams) and Tracey E. Bregman (Lauren Fenmore) for “The Young and Restless Life of William J. Bell” book signing. Co-authors Lee Phillip Bell and Michael Maloney were also in attendance.
“I play the lead character, Shane Dempsey, a sociopath who had a horrible upbringing. He will do anything for the love of others… even kill if he’s desperate enough!” said Robuck to Soaps In Depth. “He’s a bit like James in that they both had rough upbringings,” Robuck revealed, “but Shane has much deeper, darker-rooted issues and isn’t quite stable.”
PREVIOUS, SATURDAY, AUGUST 11 8:17 PM ET: On Saturday, August 18, Lee Phillip Bell (pictured right, with William J. Bell) and Michael Maloney (Soaps in Depth), co-authors of “The Young and Restless Life of William J. Bell” will be signing copies of their book at Barnes & Noble Ventura from 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM PT.
Joining the two will be “The Young and the Restless” stars Doug Davidson (Paul Williams) and Tracey E. Bregman (Lauren Fenmore). “The Bold and the Beautiful‘s” Ronn Moss (Ridge Forrester) is also scheduled to attend, although it is unclear at this time if he will still take part after it was recently announced he would be leaving the drama series after a reported salary dispute resulted in his contract not being renewed.
Please Note: This is a wristband event.
PREVIOUS: After weeks of speculation, Soap Opera Network can now report that actress Florencia Lozano will be reprising her role as Téa Delgado from “One Life to Live” on ABC’s “General Hospital” in the coming weeks. The news was broken by website We Love Soaps.
It was on Friday, March 23, 2012, when executive producer Frank Valentini revealed on Twitter that there was “Exciting #GH casting news coming… stay tuned!” Soon afterward, Soap Opera Digest reported that the news would be announced as soon as Monday, March 26, 2012. Since then there had not been a word uttered from Valentini or a show spokesperson in regards to the producers tweet. Although, on Friday, April 6, 2012, Valentini did post the following on Twitter:
— Frank Valentini (@valentinifrank) April 6, 2012
The industry was abuzz after learning of Hughes’ status upgrade at “GH,” but there were those, including myself, who didn’t believe she was the casting news Valentini had been alluding to all along:
@ggmarie1234 That wasn’t the news. The news still hasn’t come out.
— Soaps In Depth ABC (@soapsindepthabc) April 6, 2012
Well the news is now out and Lozano begins filming this week at “GH,” according to WLS. A first airdate is uknown at this time.
Due to the holiday weekend, a show spokesman was unavailable for comment.
(SoapOperaNetwork.com) — On Friday, June 1, 2012, Source Books (publisher of the recent “Days of our Lives” series of novels and coffee books) has scheduled the hardcover release of “The Young and Restless Life of William J. Bell: Creator of The Young and the Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful,” which covers the life and times of one of daytime’s most creative minds.
For the first time fans will be able to discover the true stories behind the creation and growth of the most popular and iconic soap operas of all time, and they’ll learn about the man behind their favorite storylines. Filled with dramatic turns, dangerous risks, and an overall devotion to bringing life to the show, this biography will offer fans a backstage pass to the fascinating world of soaps! Bill Bell worked from a love of his characters and his family, and was never afraid to fight for what he knew to be important to both. For any fans of Bill’s shows or anyone working on creating dramas, this is an unprecedented look into the life of one of the men who did it best.
(SoapOperaNetwork.com) — There has been much discussed about “All My Children” 2.0 following a report by Soaps in Depth in which the magazine reported on its website that “All My Children,” as conceived by the minds behind the scenes at Prospect Park, has been placed on hold. This of course is after months of rumors and speculation stating that the company had planned to launch the show just days following its September 23 ABC finale and again in January 2012 following the network finale of sister soap “One Life to Live,” which in addition to “AMC” was licensed to Prospect Park for its Online Network (TOLN) in a deal brokered with the Disney/ABC Television Group back in July of this year. But is this really news to the fans or were we all just hoping something else was going on behind the scenes that would suddenly pace the show on the same trek as “OLTL?”
When the deal with Prospect Park was announced many speculated that one of the reasons “One Life to Live” was allowed to continue on post ABC was due in large part to its association with “All My Children,” both in cancellation and its creator Agnes Nixon. After weeks of silence following the big press release touting the renewed life for both series, which were canceled by ABC in April, “One Life to Live” signed deals with four actors in early September to continue on while “All My Children” only signed two. By the end of September “One Life” would not only sign five additional stars, but would also sign an executive producer and a head writer. Frank Valentini, who will continue as the soaps EP once production wraps at the end of this coming week, will also take on duties as VP, Serial Dramas, Prospect Park. In this new role Valentini will be responsible for all aspects of “One Life to Live” and “All My Children,” along with any other serialized dramatic programming Prospect Park puts into production. His duties will include signing off on the hiring of actors, writers, producers, etc along with setting the budgetary tone for each serialized program under Prospect Park.
By the end of October, “One Life to Live” had signed a total of 13 actors in addition to their EP and HW, while “All My Children” signed Darnell Williams (ex-Jesse Hubbard) to round out the current “AMC” 2.0 cast that includes Cameron Mathison (ex-Ryan Lavery) and Lindsay Hartley (ex-Cara Castillo). Williams’ signing was confirmed to Soap Opera Network by a Prospect Park representative, although other publications have yet to confirm the news through proper channels and used a tweet by Hartley as the basis for their initial reporting. “All My Children” remains without a head writer or executive producer. Last week, Soap Opera Network reported via several sources that ABC had agreed to allow Prospect Park continued usage of “One Life’s” current studio space, which just so happened to be “AMC’s” studio prior to the soaps move to LA in 2010. “All My Children” was said to continue filming at its Andrita studio in LA under Prospect Park, but after nearly three months since production ceased for the ABC run it’s anyone’s guess as to what has since happened to the sets, wardrobe, props, etc.
With the signing of no more than three actors, no executive producer, and no head writer, there was absolutely no way “All My Children” could continue online or in any other form as planned. Meanwhile, Prospect Park continues to state that their new Online Network (TOLN) is launching in January 2012, and the company has signed a licensing deal with Universal Music Group in which contemporary music would be available in episodes of both soaps and available for purchase online after the end of each episode. Although there are reports that the company is in need of $65 million on hand to get their efforts off the ground and an additional $80 million per year to fund both series each year, the funding necessary doesn’t seem to be stalling preparations for an online version of “One Life to Live” nor does the fact that there is no deal between the required unions such as the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (AFTRA), the Writers Guild of America (WGA), the Directors Guild of America (DGA) or the Producers Guild of America (PGA), among others.
The issues currently plaguing “AMC” rests on the former cast and crew and their ability to now find jobs anywhere in Hollywood now that they are all living their lives comfortably in the Bear state and free from the clutches of ABC. Michael E. Knight (ex-Tad Martin) received an offer from Prospect Park, but turned it down because he wanted a break. Alicia Minshew (ex-Kendall Hart) and Rebecca Budig (Greenlee Smythe) were sure to be in demand by the company, but alas both wish to only return if they were able to remain on recurring status. Series star and soap opera legend, Susan Lucci (ex-Erica Kane), turned down the company’s offer for the same salary she received while working on the ABC version of the soap. Jacob Young (ex-JR Chandler), who returned on screen at “The Bold and the Beautiful” just before “AMC” aired its final episode in September, admitted that he only signed a short-term deal with “B&B” and wants Prospect Park to be more forthcoming with information. “Let’s see what these Prospect Park guys can bring to the table,” he said on Tuesday, October 25 at New York’s Town Hall for the first of several “A Tribute to Pine Valley” sessions with fans. Once Prospect Park gets its ducks in a row, including signing deals with the necessary unions and apparently finding the funding necessary, “All My Children” 2.0 is now said to be geared for a March 2012 launch, while “OLTL” remains on track to launch in January 2012.
(SoapOperaNetwork.com) — With his character Matthew Buchanan in a coma after suffering a severe brain injury, many “One Life to Live” fans have been left wondering if Eddie Alderson was leaving the show. Fortunately they can breathe a little easier now after hearing from the actor himself.
According to Soap Opera Digest, Alderson told fans at a Daytime Stars and Strikes benefit for the American Cancer Society benefit on October 4 that “[Matthew] misses Llanview, he misses being awake and being able to talk,” and that he returns to the studio this week to tape more scenes.
This comes as good news to the father-to-be Matthew, whose girlfriend Destiny (Shenell Edmonds) is pregnant with his baby. Look for his scenes to air sometime in November. Alderson joined “OLTL” in 2001. His older sister Kristen Alderson, has played Starr Manning on the show since 1998.