When we reported that Marlene McPherson (pictured right, with former "DAYS" co-head writer Darrell Ray Thomas) had been hired on as head writer of Prospect Park's version of "All My children" back on January 23, it was unclear at the time as to whether she would be joined by a co-head writer. Soap Opera Network has since learned that it'll be a "Days of our Lives" reunion of sorts for "AMC" as McPherson will be joined by Elizabeth Snyder, who was an Associate Head Writer at "DAYS" from 2011-2012.
At the 2013 Writers Guild Awards, "The Young and The Restless" beat out "Days of our Lives" and "One Life To Live" for their fifth win. The show previously won in 2003, 2006, 2008, and 2010.
Prospect Park's much anticipated online revivals of long-running soaps "All My Children" and "One Life to Live" continue to inch closer to reality as both shows are scheduled to go into production in the coming weeks ahead of their excepted launch dates on Hulu (and iTunes) sometime in April.
The big news of December 2012 was word that Prospect Park was taking another stab at moving ABC's "All My Children" and "One Life to Live" to the web in 2013. The news was first reported by Deadline.com's Nellie Andreeva. In her initial reporting, Andreeva revealed that Prospect Park had made agreements with the unions SAG-AFTRA (Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists) and the DGA (Directors Guild of America). Previously, while the company had planned on debuting the shows on the web in early 2012, no deals had been signed with either union or the WGA (Writers Guild of America). This hindered the company's plan to move forward with the shows and resulted in a postponement that was announced in November 2011. In a statement at the time, AFTRA (prior to its merger with SAG) said that they were "deeply disappointed to read that the executives at Prospect Park have decided to suspend their efforts to produce the long-running and popular daytime serials." Additionally, the union had said that they "remain hopeful that an opportunity to revive these two popular series will emerge in the future, and remain ready to resume discussions should that opportunity arise." The future took more than a year, but it appears to have finally emerged. However, although a representative from SAG-AFTRA confirmed that an agreement with Prospect Park had been made when pressed for comment from Soap Opera Network early last week, it remains unclear if said agreement had actually been signed. "Not absolutely certain it had been signed but can check that for you," said the rep. Due to the holidays, we don't expect a response on that little detail until at least tomorrow, January 2.
After rumblings for the last two weeks and a shocking report by Deadline Hollywood earlier today, Prospect Park officially pulled the plug on plans for producing online versions of ABC's "All My Children" and "One Life to Live." Of the key issues, Prospect Park cited its inability to come to terms with the unions including those representing the actors (AFTRA) and the writers (WGA). Shortly afterward, the various unions began issuing statements in response to the production companies decision.
It was Tuesday, October 4 when Soap Opera Network first reported on the current status of union discussions between the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (AFTRA) and Prospect Park following word back in July that Prospect Park would be launching "All My Children" and "One Life to Live" on the web. Now more than a month later, and with news that "AMC" is being delayed for various reasons, an AFTRA rep tells Soap Opera Network that they are "still in discussions with [Prospect Park]." This at some point could place a damper on the company's plan of launching "One Life" online in January if a deal isn't reached in the next several weeks.