(SoapOperaNetwork.com) — The Disney/ABC Media Networks division of the Walt Disney Company wants America to be “Ugly” in 2007.
Beginning today at 9:00 AM ET with a 10-hour ABC Family marathon, the Disney/ABC Media Networks have banded together in the cross promotion of the ABC Television Network hit one-hour comedy series, “Ugly Betty.” The series stars America Ferrera as Betty Suarez and Eric Mabius as Daniel Meade. On January 1, New Year’s Day, SOAPnet will join in the fun with it’s own 10-hour marathon of “Betty” beginning at 10:00 AM, ET. The SOAPnet version is being billed as the “Betty Bowl.”
“Be Ugly ’07,” the Pro-Social campaign behind the media blitz is ABC’s way of telling America to “Resolve to Be Real, Be Smart, Be Passionate, Be True To Yourself, Be Ugly Like ‘Ugly Betty’ in 2007.”
The “Ugly” campaign starts on-air during “Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve,” as hundreds of Betty look-alikes will be in Times Square and Walt Disney World giving out “Ugly Betty” masks to help people see the world through Betty’s eyes, where ugly is beautiful. Also, on January 1, the look-alikes will distribute masks at the “Rose Bowl Parade,” which airs live on the broadcast networks starting at 11:00 AM, EST. Check local listings for stations.
ABC has teamed with Girls Inc., a nonprofit organization that inspires all girls to be smart, strong and bold, on “Be Ugly ’07.” At an event in New York on January 8, a special appearance will be made by February’s CosmoGIRL! cover girl and star of “Ugly Betty,” America Ferrera. The issue hits newsstands on January 2. Unveiled at the event will be a t-shirt designed for the campaign to raise money for Girls Inc., and available for purchase at www.BeUgly07.com.
In addition, multi-platinum recording singer/songwriter, Jason Mraz, has composed “The Beauty In Ugly” as the official song for the campaign. The song will be used in a variety of mediums including the television campaign and a music video in support of “Be Ugly ’07.” A Spanish version will soon be made available. You can hear the song in its entirety at www.BeUgly07.com. The song will be released for download in January through the iTunes Music Store with a portion of the proceeds going to Girls Inc.
“Betty” also stars Alan Dale as Bradford Meade, Tony Plana as Ignacio, Ana Ortiz as Hilda, Ashley Jensen as Christina, Becki Newton as Amanda, Mark Indelicato as Justin, Rebecca Romijn as the “Masked Woman” Vanessa Williams as Wilhelmina Slater, Michael Urie as Marc and Kevin Sussman as Walter. The series begins a set of new episodes on Thursday, January 4 at 8:00 PM, ET on ABC.
ABC FAMILY MARATHON LINEUP: December 31
- 9:00 to 10:00 AM “Pilot” – Betty gets the job of a lifetime at Mode fashion magazine and she is determined to do whatever it takes to fulfill the ultimate dream of working in the fashion industry.
- 10:00 to 11:00 AM “The Box and the Bunny” – Betty looses the complete new edition of the magazine and must find it before it leaks to the press.
- 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM “Queens for a Day” – Betty gets a make-over to lure a big time photographer to shoot for Mode.
- 12:00 to 1:00 PM “Fey’s Sleigh Ride” – Betty forms an alliance with Marc and Amanda after they fear they may have leaked the idea for Mode’s Christmas cover.
- 1:00 to 2:00 PM “The Lyin’, The Watch and the Wardrobe” – Betty faces a frightful Halloween when she dresses up for a non-existent costume contest, boy problems and finding Daniel’s watch.
- 2:00 to 3:00 PM “Trust, Lust and Must” – Betty and Hilda try to save their father from deportation, while Wilhelmina must deal with her daughter.
- 3:00 to 4:00 PM “After Hours” – Betty is assigned to review a posh new hotel.
- 4:00 to 5:00 PM “Four Thanksgivings and a Funeral” – Thanksgiving plans don’t go as planned for all co-workers at Mode magazine.
- 5:00 to 6:00 PM “Lose the Boss” – Betty must take control at a photo shoot when a photographer comes up with some questionable concepts.
- 6:00 to 7:00 PM “Fake Plastic Snow” – As Christmas arrives at Mode, Betty questions her relationship with Walter and her feelings for Henry.
SOAPnet MARATHON LINEUP: January 1
- 10AM to 11AM “Pilot” (OAD: 9/28/06) Betty Suarez, a plain-Jane from Queens does her best to fit into the high fashion world when she starts her new job at Mode Magazine.
- 11AM to 12PM “The Box and the Bunny” (OAD: 10/5/06) Betty loses “the book,” a proof of the entire magazine. If the photos get out, it could create huge embarrassment for Mode
- 12PM to 1PM “Queens For A Day” (OAD: 10/12/06) Betty uses her Queens connections to lure a big time photographer to shoot for Mode.
- 1PM to 2PM “Fey’s Sleigh Ride” (OAD: 10/19/06) When Mode is forced to abandon its big Christmas photo shoot because another magazine has copied the idea, Betty forms an uneasy alliance with Marc and Amanda.
- 2PM to 3PM “The Lyin, The Watch and the Wardrobe” (OAD: 10/26/06) It’s Halloween and Betty is in for a series of frightful experiences at the office.
- 3PM to 4PM “Trust, Lust, and Must” (OAD: 11/02/06) Daniel falls in instant lust with a mysterious beauty he sees in the Mode lobby (guest star Salma Hayek)
- 4PM to 5PM “After Hours” (OAD: 11/9/06) Betty takes a break from her escalating family troubles when she’s assigned to review a posh new hotel.
- 5PM to 6PM “Four Thanksgivings and a Funeral” (OAD: 11/16/06) It’s Thanksgiving Day, and everyone at Mode celebrates in their own special way.
- 6PM to 7PM “Lose The Boss?” (OAD: 11/23/06) The day after Thanksgiving is no holiday for Betty, who pulls together a last-minute Mode photo shoot while Daniel recuperates from a hangover.
- 7PM to 8PM “Fake Plastic Snow” (11/30/06) It’s Christmastime at Mode, as Betty questions her relationship with Walter and her feelings for Henry.
On the Web: Be Ugly ’07