Sunday, January 24, 2010 8:00 AM ET | By Scotty Gore
(SoapOperaNetwork.com) — African-American actors from the ABC and CBS serials compete for top honors.
“Established in 1967, at the height of the civil rights movement, the NAACP Image Awards is the nation’s premier event the outstanding achievements and performances of people of color in the arts (motion picture, television, recording, and literature), as well as those individuals or groups who promote social justice through their creative endeavors,” according to a press release.
The NAACP Image Awards honors projects and individuals that promote diversity in the arts in television, recording, literature, and motion pictures. The nominees for outstanding achievement in acting peformances in the daytime drama series categories are as follows:
OUTSTANDING ACTOR IN A DAYTIME DRAMA SERIES
- Bryton James – Devon Hamilton on “The Young and The Restless” (CBS)
- Cassius Willis – Gil Wallace on “The Young and The Restless” (CBS)
- Cornelius Smith, Jr. – Frankie Hubbard on “All My Children” (ABC)
- Terrell Tilford – Greg Evans on “One Life To Live” (ABC)
- Texas Battle – Marcus Walton on “The Bold and the Beautiful” (CBS)
OUTSTANDING ACTRESS IN A DAYTIME DRAMA SERIES
- Daphnee Duplaix – Rachel Gannon on “One Life to Live” (ABC)
- Debbi Morgan – Angie Hubbard on “All My Children” (ABC)
- Eva Marcille – Tyra Hamilton on “The Young and the Restless” (CBS)
- Tatyana Ali – Roxanne on “The Young and The Restless” (CBS)
- Tonya Lee Williams – Olivia Winters on “The Young and the Restless” (CBS)
In addition, several soap veterans were also earned nods in various categories. Morgan Freeman(ex-Roy Bingham, “Another World”) was nominated for Outstanding Actor in a Motion Picture for the film “Invictus.” Lamman Rucker (ex-T. Marshall Travers, “As the World Turns;” ex-Garret Williams, “All My Children”) is competing in the Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series for “Tyler Perry’s Meet the Browns.” Tichina Arnold (ex-Zena Brown, “Ryan’s Hope;” ex-Sharla Valentine, “All My Children”) is up for the award in the Outstanding Actress in a Comedy Series category for her role on the “Everybody Hates Chris.” And musician Mary J. Blige (who made appearances on “One Life to Live” in 2006 & 2008) is up for Outstanding Female Recording Artist.
- The 41st NAACP Image Awards will air live on FOX on Friday, February 26th, 2010, beginning at 8:00 PM ET. For the complete list of Image Award nominees visit http://www.naacpimageawards.net/41/nominees-and-voting/nominees/.
“All My Children” and “One Life to Live” airs Weekdays on ABC. “The Bold and the Beautiful” and “The Young and the Restless” airs Weekdays on CBS. “AMC,” “OLTL,” and “Y&R” also air Weeknights on SOAPnet. And “AMC” and “OLTL” are available for viewing anytime at ABC.com and SOAPnet.com. Check local listings.