(SoapOperaNetwork.com) — As Soap Opera Network reported late last week, Susan Lucci has added a scathing new chapter to “All My Life” scheduled to be included in the paperback release of her memoir on September 13. In the new epilogue, the actress who is known for being too well-mannered uncharacteristically blasts ABC Daytime Chief Brian Frons for what she feels is his mismanagement of ABC Daytime and his general arrogance. Following a weekend of book leaks, ABC released what could only be construed as a biting statement about Lucci’s book addition and conduct. On Tuesday – coincidentally or not – after getting information from an unnamed source, a Deadline.com article held back few jabs after revealing the actress turned down the offer to continue with “All My Children” online.
An epilogue is defined as a piece of writing usually included to conclude a body of work. On Saturday, September 3, as aforementioned, the New York Post not only revealed more juicy tidbits from Lucci’s new memoir epilogue detailing her feelings about the cancellation of the soap she put on the map in 1970, they also included a response from ABC in regard to it. An ABC Daytime spokesperson told the Post “we have all the respect in the world for Susan, and are sorry she felt the need to write this epilogue to an otherwise incredible career.” The negative connotation that statement ends on is hard to miss. Coincidentally on Tuesday, September 6, Deadline.com announced that Lucci officially turned down Prospect Park’s more than fair offer to remain with the show due to trying to “gouge the producers for more money.” According to the article, Lucci was offered the same pay she currently receives at ABC Daytime but demanded a raise and perks including more time off. The article implies that the future of “AMC” is now in jeopardy and “One Life to Live” will become the focus of the new venture due to Lucci’s lack of cooperation with the company that has licensed “AMC” and “OLTL” from ABC. In the same article it was also announced that the production company had secured several “OLTL” stars to continue post-ABC Daytime including Llanview’s main leading lady Erika Slezak.
For her part, despite the addition to the book being written before Lucci learned of the licensing deal with Prospect Park, the Emmy Award winner recently told TV Guide Magazine’s Michael Logan she has no regrets about writing what was on her mind. Just last week, Lucci seemed to be a good bet to continue with Prospect Park. Once again speaking to TV Guide Magazine, she had this to say about the venture at that time: “my heart is there… I think it’s a very, very exciting possibility. I think that Prospect Park, the men involved there, have a wonderful, successful track record.” This leaves fans and the press alike wondering if ABC Daytime’s hurt feelings about Lucci speaking her mind was the real culprit behind this sudden turn of events or at least the negative tone now surrounding her current negotiation stand with Prospect Park. Jamey Giddens, from Daytime Confidential, reports that this may not be the end of talks. “AMC” creator Agnes Nixon is still hoping to help Prospect Park reach an agreement with Lucci.
Whatever the case, on September 23, Lucci is slated to co-host “The View’” for a special tribute to “AMC.” “The View” is a part of ABC Daytime and the talk show’s daily hot topics may become even more heated if any of these topics reach the discussion table.
(SoapOperaNetwork.com) – Jacob Young is returning to the soap that started his daytime career back in 1997. This fall the Daytime Emmy Award winner will reprise the role of Eric Forrester (John McCook) and Brooke Logan’s (Katherine Kelly Lang) son, Rick Forrester, on the CBS daytime drama “The Bold and the Beautiful.”
Four months after it was announced that “All My Children” would be ending its run on ABC in September and just a month after learning that Prospect Park, a 2-year-old production company, had picked up the show as part of its yet-to-be-named infotainment network set for a January launch, Young (JR Chandler on “AMC”) has become the second actor to bolt the daytime drama series. The first being Debbi Morgan (Angie Hubbard), who is heading to “The Young and the Restless” later this fall.
In an interview with TV Guide Magazine‘s Michael Logan, Young reveals that he will be returning on screen to “B&B” beginning Monday, September 26, which will also mark the first time in 41-years that “All My Children” was not on the regularly scheduled ABC Daytime lineup. “The Chew” replaces “AMC” on this date.
“When I started talking to ‘B&B’ I didn’t think it would happen so fast. But I guess it’s good that way. I was looking forward to wrapping up ‘AMC’ and having a bit of a hiatus, maybe a month or two to travel with my family,” said Young. “As it turns out, I’ll probably have my ‘AMC’ and ‘B&B’ schedules overlapping and be shooting both shows at the same time. I’m like, ‘You guys figure it out and point me in the right direction.’”
Although he hopes the deal with Prospect Park and “AMC” can come together even without him and Morgan, like many of his co-stars Young is concerned about the hiatus between the soap ending on ABC and taking off on the internet. Young thinks a January 16 debut is an optimistic time table for when “AMC” could end up back on the air considering the facts of the situation so far. His advice to his co-stars in the meantime is “to get out there in the business and see what’s crackin’. Anybody with common sense would do that.”
With Prospect Park yet to confirm details of when “AMC” will pick up production due to union issues, the company has been unable to reach out to actors to try and iron out contracts, leaving an actor exodus a strong possibility before the online version of the soap even debuts. Interestingly enough, news of Young heading back to “B&B” comes on the heals of that soap returning from a three week production hiatus.
In an interview with Soap Opera Network during the “All My Children” Fan Club Weekend, Young shared his hopes for fans who would continue with the show online and where he sees his character as the show comes to a close on ABC.
For more from Young’s TV Guide interview where he discusses both “AMC” and “B&B, click here.
About Jacob Young
Young put the character of Rick Forrester on the map on “B&B” from 1997 to 1999. The role was last played by Kyle Lowder (ex-Brady, “Days of Our Lives) in 2011. Young moved on to ABC’s “General Hospital” as Lucky Spencer, the son of Luke and Laura Spencer (Anthony Geary and Genie Francis), from 2000 to 2003. Keeping a track record of playing the son of some of daytime’s most important characters, in 2003, Young landed the role of Adam Chandler (David Canary) and Dixie Cooney’s (Cady McClain) son JR Chandler on “AMC.” That role had previously been played to much acclaim by Jesse McCartney.
(SoapOperaNetwork.com) — As we previously reported, Robin Strasser (Dorian) is leaving “One Life to Live” before the show wraps up on its television run on ABC due to reports that she was contemplating having back surgery. Having taped her last scenes on Friday, June 24, we now know when Llanview’s grand dame will make her final appearance on the show.
According to TV Guide, Strasser (and presumably co-star Tuc Watkins [David], although that has not been confirmed), will last appear on screen on Thursday, August 25. Barring an unforeseen return to “One Life” once production moves to the Internet early next year, Strasser’s exit marks the end of era for the show and its fans, since Strasser has played Dorian on and off for nearly twenty-five years (1979-1987; 1993-2000; and 2003-2011).
There is some good news, however. Look for Strasser’s airtime to increase somewhat in the weeks leading up to her exit as Dorian gets caught up in quite a bit of drama. Later this month, she will be saved from Echo’s clutches by a pint-sized superhero and walk the red carpet at the premiere of David’s movie “Vicker Man.” And in August, she will share some emotional farewell scenes with her Cramer girls and her long-time frienemy Viki (Erika Slezak).
(SoapOperaNetwork.com) — It was June 8 when newly appointed “General Hospital” head writer Garin Wolf previewed to TV Guide Magazine‘s Michael Logan that “sometimes they come back” in reference to what fans can expect from his tenure as the shows top scribe. Since then word broke that Leslie Charleson would be returning to the soap as Dr. Monica Quartermaine nearly a year after being placed on recurring status, but never seen or used since. Also expected to return in recurring capacities are Tyler Christopher (Nikolas Cassadine) and Ingo Rademacher (Jasper ‘Jax’ Jacks), who were both fired while under the Robert Guza Jr. dictated writing regime. Also showing their face for a lengthier stay than originally thought, and in a recurring capacity, is Constance Towers whose Helena Cassadine is finding herself a new boy toy after many years of lacking a 3 dimensional personality, the return of Luke Spencer (Anthony Geary) and more Tracy Quartermaine (Jane Elliott).
“I want to make this a nice, easy transition. I want to bring balance to the show. I’m very big on secrets and romance and triangles. I’m a child of [Charles] Dickens and Doug Marland. I love “Dexter” and “Desperate Housewives.” I’m very eclectic. I love to combine a lot of different things, which is what’s great about soap operas. I love multi-generational stories,” said Wolf of what viewers could expect from him directly as a longtime fan of the medium himself. Regarding “GH” specifically, Wolf made it clear that “this is an amazing cast and I want to use everybody. I want to mix it up and bring back the entertainment. I want to bring back the reality to the characters’ lives. If you’re a cop, what is your life really like? Even in the most outrageous storyline, there must be some kind of identifiable emotion. I don’t care if we’re talking about a mobster or a plumber — you have to watch and say, ‘I know how he feels. I’ve been there.’ And we really need romance. For me, that’s all about yearning and obstacles. You have to know who you are rooting for and rooting against. I want to bring back villainy — dishy villainy, fun villainy, dangerous villainy. This is going to date me. My earliest soap opera memory is having a crush on Ann Flood on ‘The Edge of Night’ when I was 7 years old. And I went from there to ‘Dark Shadows.’ Growing up, comic books were soap operas for me.”
All the fun and excitement fans have been hearing about from stars of the drama series, including Nancy Lee Grahn (Alexis Davis), who has been very vocal on Twitter, kicks off on Tuesday, July 26, when Wolf penned episodes begin airing on ABC. Almost immediately fans can expect love, romance, fights for survival, passion, courtship, reconciliations, introductions, jealousy and even a touch of “Cougar Town” (think early episodes from the shows first season) to hit their screens. In response to what she knows of Wolf’s material, Grahn shared on her Twitter page ” “It’s going to be all about women. This team loves them. That’s not to say we’ll all be saints, but it’ll be about us. The pace will be picking up. The actors have worked with him [Wolf] before and they are all happy.”
Sources tell Soap Opera Network that with all returning cast members and the creative changes hitting “General Hospital,” you should expect to hear that those returning actors will be not be offered contracts. “All of these actors are being kept on recurring in an attempt to keep costs down in order to keep the show on the air,” said a source. The same also holds true for other daytime soaps as well. “This is a trend we can expect to see more of, not just on ‘GH,’ but in daytime in general,” our source continued. “It’s been headed this way for a long time,” a daytime star told Soap Opera Network requesting anonymity during Emmy weekend earlier this month. “We’re going to see less and less contracts and more people on recurring basis. Unfortunately this is the way its been headed and in order for daytime to survive, this is the way it has to be.”
The cost cutting idea is one that makes the most sense when you think about it. You’re not guaranteed to have to pay people who aren’t being used, so the big gamble will be either risk losing key players to current storylines or lose millions of dollars on stars you don’t use, only to see your show canceled due to budget constraints. In order to avoid this all together, it is also likely we will see actors continuiously picked up for cycles as they are used and then being dropped before the next cycle kicks in.
Long before ABC’s Upfront presentation got underway at around 3:45 PM on Tuesday, May 17, when invited guests began scuttling into the Avery Fisher Hall, the National Broadcasting Company (NBC) looked to take attention off of the American Broadcasting Company (ABC) by promoting its new fall programming with a rotation of more than a dozen Grayline and CitySearch NYC buses that were filled with wide open spaces or a lack of passengers in this case. While the seats may have been empty, no one could miss the colorful brand making its presence known while its competitor seeks a piece of the $9.2 billion pie during a crucial television season that lies ahead for the Disney/ABC Television Group. Insert the NBC peacock now featured on billboards in newly stylized glossy graphics.
(SoapOperaNetwork.com) — ABC renews its commitment to keep “One Life to Live” on the air and a part of their daytime schedule through at least 2014.
Last Saturday, a story by the Denver Post left fans of the show feeling a sense of hope and confusion, stating that “ABC owns its soaps, unlike the CBS relationship with P&G. ABC’s ‘One Life to Live’ is soon to announce a deal to live two more years.”
Since the network does maintain ownership of all three of its daytime serials, an announcement that they they were planning to “renew” “One Life” for at least two more years does not and would not apply.
However, TVGuide‘s Michael Logan attempted to clarify the story Wednesday by reporting that he has learned from sources at the network that ABC’s commitment to “One Life to Live” has more to do with behind-the-scenes actions involving the show’s staff.
According to Logan, “OLTL” Executive Producer Frank Valentini, who celebrated his 25th anniversary with the show just yesterday (September 28th) has signed a new two-year contract to remain with the soap, while Head Writer Ron Carlivati, who has been with the show for 14 years (including the last three in his current position – with the exception of roughly three months in 2008 due to a writer’s strike) has penned a new three-deal to remain with the show.
Before replacing Gary Tomlin as Executive Producer in 2003, Valentini had worked in several positions on the show including stage manager, producer, and music composer. During his tenure with the show, “OLTL” has been either won or been nominated for several Daytime Emmy Awards, including nods for Directing, Outstanding Drama (which it won in 2002), and Best Original Song. The show has also been earned GLAAD Awards in 2005 and 2010.
Carlivati held the positions of writer’s assistant, script writer, breakdown writer, and co-Head Writer before assuming sole head writing duties in 2007. Carlivati and the rest of the “OLTL” scribes won a Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Writing in a Daytime Drama in 2008. They were nominated in the same category in 2002 and 2006. In addition, the writing staff was also nominated for WGA (Writer’s Guild of America) Awards in 2003 and 2006.
Look for a post-deal interview with both Carlivati and Valentini to be posted on TVGuide‘s website sometime next week.
“One Life to Live” airs Weekdays on ABC. Anytime on ABC.com.
(SoapOperaNetwork.com) — TV Guide.com and TV Guide Magazine appear to have reconciled as the two became one once again on Tuesday, June 1.
Best known to its soap readers as the place to catch the latest column from long-time soap columnist Michael Logan, TV Guide Magazine and its online counterpart, TV Guide.com, were separated in the fall of 2008 after Macrovision (then owner of the magazine, website and television network) sold the magazine portion to OpenGate Capital for a mere $1, according to a report by AdAge.com. The separation of the two resulted in the magazine portion launching its own distinctive website, which did not include the legendary guide listings found on TV Guide.com and the magazine itself. The sale of TV Guide Magazine also severed ties between it and the TV Guide Network, which was purchased along-side TV Guide.com in January 2009 by Lions Gate Television. It is unclear at this time as to how or why the magazine had returned into the fold of TV Guide branded material, but as a long-time consumer of the brand either online or in print, it feels like your long-lost brother has returned home after years of neither of you seeing each other and everything is once again right with the world.
Interestingly, Damian Holbrook, a Senior Writer for the magazine, confirmed the re-marriage on Twitter when he stated “it feels so good!” to a follower who noted the re-aligned entities. No further comments have been made by TV Guide Magazine or TV Guide.com staff on Twitter or Facebook, which houses many pages for both staffs. In fact, many of the TV Guide Magazine staff Twitter pages, including that of Senior Critic Matt Roush, continues to link to the old website for the magazine indicating that the change over seems to have been that much more recent than anyone may think.