Despite Soap Opera Digest reporting on Tuesday that she was staying, TV Line is now reporting that Monday’s report by CBS Soaps In Depth was correct when it said actress Susan Flannery had informed producers and writers at “The Bold and the Beautiful” that she planned to leave the series at the end of her contract. To compensate, Flannery agreed to sign a short-term deal that would allow her to wrap up Stephanie Forrester’s 25-year storyline.
“Happy Back to Work Day!!!! YAY!!” said Kirsten Storms (Maxie Jones) in a tweet earlier today as she prepared for her first day back on the set of ABC’s “General Hospital.” The actress also tweeted a photo of her script that was tucked away in her purse, saying “Bag packed. Off to work.
Storms re-tweeted a tweet by co-star Jason Thompson (Patrick Drake), who said, “I’m excited about getting back to work today. A healthy chunk is because
@teenystweeting is back!! (but shh, we know how her head can swell).” Read More >>
Daytime’s most watched soap is also daytime’s most heavily viewed series for African American audiences, but you wouldn’t know it based on the storyline’s written for its African American characters of late. With a new writing team in place, that will soon change. According to Soap Opera Digest, the series has put out another casting call for an African American character. Unlike the previous casting call, this one is for a female and it definitely sounds like a possible recast of a current character, but we could be wrong.
“Sally Tate” is described as a woman in her mid-20s who is ”vivacious, energetic, ambitious. She’s a mom balancing work and family. She’s had her share of tough times, but always bounces back from even the most trying situations. Sexy, romantic, fun-loving, with a delightful sense of humor and an eternal twinkle in her eyes.” The role comes with a contract attached.
This marks the second role being cast under new executive producer Jill Farren Phelps and head writer Josh Griffith. No word on when the show expects to cast the role nor when viewers can expect to see her on screen.
After her character was shamed out of Salem last year prior to the major “Days of our Lives” reboot, Nadia Bjorlin is returning to the NBC Daytime drama series in the coming months as a “stronger and more confident Chloe [Lane] who can really stand up for herself and not be bullied,” so says the actress in an interview with TV Guide Magazine‘s Michael Logan.
According to TV Guide, Bjorlin begins filming at “DAYS” in late September, but she won’t make it to air until January 4, 2013, which is an unusual length of time from film to air, unless you work at “DAYS,” which for the past several years has been filming months ahead of airdate in order to save on production costs.
Soap Opera Digest held off on reporting any news of Susan Flannery‘s reported decision to leave CBS’ “The Bold and the Beautiful” yesterday, but today there seems to be a reason why. According to the magazine’s website, Flannery is staying on as Stephanie Forrester.
In CBS Soaps In Depth‘s report yesterday, they indicated that Flannery had signed a short-term contract with “B&B” that will allow the series to write her character off the show, but according to Bradley Bell, Head Writer and Executive Producer of the soap, “Susan, for quite some time, was thinking she needed a break or just have some personal time.” He further states, “She’s been through a lot personally; we know that she had her own battle with cancer and she’s had such an amazing career that she will continue to have as Stephanie Forrester, but I think it’s not so much as a disagreement between her and the show, but more Susan figuring out where she is right now and what she needs. Now, Susan is going to have an incredible time with a new storyline that we’ve never seen before; something completely unique and interesting.”
While Bell’s statement doesn’t necessarily add much contradiction to In Depth‘s reporting, Digest states it will have the full story in its next issue (due out Friday).
While “The Bold and the Beautiful” canceled its casting call last week following news of Ronn Moss‘ (soon-to-be ex-Ridge Forrester) departure, sister soap “The Young and the Restless” has announced its plans to cast the contract role of an African American male.
According to Soap Opera Digest, “Y&R” is seeking to cast the face of Tyler Douglas, who is currently in his late 20s or early 30s, and was orphaned at age 16. Douglas got himself through college and now holds an MBA. The character is “driven to succeed. Smart, energetic. Well-read. Smoothly sexy and confident, with a witty, sometimes cynical sense of humor.”
This marks the first role being cast under new executive producer Jill Farren Phelps and head writer Josh Griffith. No word on when the show expects to cast the role nor when viewers can expect to see him on screen.
A week after word leaked that Ronn Moss (Ridge Forrester) opted not to renew his contract, CBS’ “The Bold and the Beautiful,” now in its 26th season, has worked overtime to not lose another member of its “core four” (the soaps four original cast members).
Katherine Kelly Lang (Brooke Forrester), who revealed on her Twitter page that she was crying when she found out Moss would be leaving the soap, has released a statement (posted by Soap Opera Digest) that she has signed a new two year contract with the daytime drama series.
“I’m very happy to tell you that I have re-signed my contract with ‘The Bold and the Beautiful’ for two more years,” said Lang. “Brad [Bell, Executive Producer/Head Writer] has come up with an exciting new storyline for Brooke that I think the fans are going to love.”
Lang, along with Moss, Susan Flannery (Stephanie Forrester) and John McCook (Eric Forrester) are the only four remaining original cast members of “B&B.” They’ve appeared on the soap ever since its launch on March 23, 1987.
With Moss departing, the “core four” now becomes the “core three.” The actors last airdate is scheduled for Friday, September 14.
PREVIOUS, THURSDAY, AUGUST 9 5:59 PM ET: According to Soap Opera Digest, CBS’ “The Bold and the Beautiful” has issued a casting call for a “new, hot guy.” According to the casting breakdown the show is seeking a “Male. Caucasian. 25-28 years old. Heart throb. Very Masculine. Edgy. Not afraid to get the job done. Bit of a cad.” It is a contract role.
Based on the description many on our SON Community Message Boards have been debating if this could actually be a recast of a current character on the soap opera or if it is truly a new character.
What Do You Think?
America Media, Inc. (AMI) has purchased 37-year-old Soap Opera Digest from previous owner Source Interlink Media. As followers of Soap Opera Network knew, America Media licensed Digest from Source Interlink on April 14, 2011, wherein American Media would retain editorial, advertising, marketing and distribution control of the magazine and its sister publications Soap Opera Weekly and Pixie! (both now defunct), while ownership would remain with Source Interlink.
According to a press release issued today, the deal in acquiring Digest closed on July 20, 2012 with the ownership effective date listed as June 1, 2012. Soap Opera Network has also learned that as part of the deal another round of layoffs hit the magazine resulting in a number of long-time staffers and writers losing their jobs.
Soap Opera Digest is said to have a circulation of over 200,000 and a reach of over 4 million readers per week, making it a key asset to American Media. “Soap Opera Digest is a very important strategic acquisition for AMI as it fits perfectly in the Celebrity & Entertainment Group,” said David J. Pecker, Chairman, President and CEO of American Media, Inc.
Stephanie Sloane will remain the magazine’s Editor-in-Chief while David Jackson will remain Group Publisher of Soap Opera Digest. They both report directly to Pecker.
As Soap Opera Network first reported on March 16, Deadline‘s Nellie Andreeva is reporting that ABC has officially canceled “The Revolution” and plans to slide “General Hospital” into the 2:00 PM ET/1:00 PM PT timeslot beginning Monday, September 10, the same day the network hands over the 3:00 PM ET/2:00 PM PT time period to affiliates. The news was later reported by The New York Times.
It was last week Wednesday (April 4, 2012) when Soap Opera Network Tweeted, via a very reliable source, that within ten days a decision on the future of “General Hospital” would be made by the network. Tomorrow, April 12 (or Saturday, April 14, depending on how you look at it), marks the one year anniversary of Black Thursday (April 14, 2011), which is best known to many as the day that ABC announced the cancellations of both “All My Children” and “One Life to Live” and the launches of “The Chew” and “The Revolution.” It was also the day Source Interlink announced a licensing deal with American Media over Soap Opera Digest and newly defunct Soap Opera Weekly.