The SAG-AFTRA National Board announced today that it has reached a tentative agreement with broadcast networks ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX, among other producers, on terms for a successor agreement to the National Code of Fair Practice for Network Television Broadcasting (Network Television Code). The agreement, approved by a 93% vote by the board, covers dramas in first-run syndication, morning news shows, talk shows, serials (soap operas), variety, reality, contest, sports and promotional announcements.
In a press release issued just a short time ago, Prospect Park has confirmed plans to move forward with "All My Children" and "One Life to Live" online. The company states that Agnes Nixon, who created both series, has been working as a consultant on the project. They confirm that they have signed deals with the DGA and SAG-AFTRA, but nothing in regards to the WGA. Jennifer Pepperman has been hired on as Executive Producer of "OLTL," Ginger Smith is EP of "AMC."
The big news of December 2012 was word that Prospect Park was taking another stab at moving ABC's "All My Children" and "One Life to Live" to the web in 2013. The news was first reported by Deadline.com's Nellie Andreeva. In her initial reporting, Andreeva revealed that Prospect Park had made agreements with the unions SAG-AFTRA (Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists) and the DGA (Directors Guild of America). Previously, while the company had planned on debuting the shows on the web in early 2012, no deals had been signed with either union or the WGA (Writers Guild of America). This hindered the company's plan to move forward with the shows and resulted in a postponement that was announced in November 2011. In a statement at the time, AFTRA (prior to its merger with SAG) said that they were "deeply disappointed to read that the executives at Prospect Park have decided to suspend their efforts to produce the long-running and popular daytime serials." Additionally, the union had said that they "remain hopeful that an opportunity to revive these two popular series will emerge in the future, and remain ready to resume discussions should that opportunity arise." The future took more than a year, but it appears to have finally emerged. However, although a representative from SAG-AFTRA confirmed that an agreement with Prospect Park had been made when pressed for comment from Soap Opera Network early last week, it remains unclear if said agreement had actually been signed. "Not absolutely certain it had been signed but can check that for you," said the rep. Due to the holidays, we don't expect a response on that little detail until at least tomorrow, January 2.