You can now add Cady McClain to the already confirmed list of stars returning to “All My Children.” The actress announced via her official website that she has been contacted by Prospect Park for their “AMC” reboot, which is set to premiere sometime this spring (likely April) via Hulu and iTunes. “I am very excited about the possibilities for the show in this medium and want to help give it every chance at success,” the actress said in a statement. “As you probably know by now, I am fascinated with all the many possibilities for creative expression that the Internet has to offer. I have a feeling the show will find many new opportunities for connecting with fans and I look forward to being a part of that as well,” she added.
Prospect Park’s much anticipated online revival of long-running soaps “All My Children” and “One Life to Live” continues to inch closer to reality as both shows are scheduled to go into production in the coming weeks ahead of their excepted launch dates on Hulu (and iTunes) sometime in April.
Just a short time ago, Prospect Park released the following statement to Soap Opera Network regarding the latest developments surrounding its discussions with Disney/ABC Domestic Television and the use of the characters Starr Manning, Todd Manning and John McBain.
According to the company, shortly after deciding to postpone production of “All My Children” and “One Life to Live,” they made an agreement with ABC that would allow “General Hospital” to utilize the characters so that they could “stay alive with the fans and also so that the actors could remain working.” The company also tells Soap Opera Network that “Everyone at ABC and on the production staff of ‘General Hospital’ understood that this was a temporary arrangement until production started once again on ‘One Life to Live.’ Now the time has come to start production and Prospect Park needs to, once again, cast these characters including Llanview transplants Michael Easton (John) and Kristen Alderson (Starr).”
In a report by BroadcastEngineering.com, “All My Children” and “One Life to Live” will both begin production on Monday, February 25 for their online incarnations, which are set to premiere sometime in April exclusively on Hulu. NEP Broadcasting, LLC is currently constructing studio space for both series in an old factory in Connecticut, the website says. This would indicate that despite reports stating otherwise, neither show will be filming at the Stamford Media Center, where “Maury” is filmed.
Despite Michael Easton‘s announcement early this morning, where he stated that after February 8th he would be exiting “General Hospital,” along with Roger Howarth and Kristen Alderson, due to “some ongoing legal this and that,” an ABC spokesperson tells Soap Opera Network that all three will remain an essential part of the “GH” canvas for the foreseeable future as the three are under contract with the network and not Prospect Park.
“‘General Hospital’ is excited about Michael Easton, Kristen Alderson and Roger Howarth staying on the show and we are exploring ways to allow that to happen,” read a statement from ABC, which did not provide further input on how the series would accomplish just that. Previously, the network stated, “There are on-going collaborative conversations,” in response to word that Prospect Park wanted to return the characters of Starr Manning (Alderson), Todd Manning (Howarth) and John McBain (Easton) to Llanview after formerly announcing it’s decision to re-launch “One Life to Live” later this spring. The production company licensed the rights to “OLTL’s” characters in July 2011 in a long-term distribution agreement between it and Disney/ABC Domestic Television, part of the Disney/ABC Television Group.
Although her name was among fifteen “One Life” cast members listed in a press release last week from Prospect Park as joining the online version of “OLTL,” Erika Slezak (Viki) confirmed the news today with a statement on her official website. Telling fans that she is “pleased” to join the upcoming online version of the show when production begins “near the middle of March,” the six-time Daytime Emmy winner says the new show will be “an exciting and groundbreaking adventure” and that she hopes fans will tune in.
In a short video message on his Facebook page, “One Life’s” new co-head writer Thom Racina vows to fans that he and his fellow scribe Susan Bedsow Horgan will deliver on Prospect Park’s promise to breath “new themes, fresh stars and youthful energy” into the 43-year-old soap, saying “we’re gonna do it!”
Prospect Park’s plan to blend “new themes, fresh stars and youthful energy” along with the familiar actors and writers of yesteryear for its version of Agnes Nixon‘s “All My Children” and “One Life to Live” is beginning to settle in. According to a newly released audition script, the company is looking for a brand new “face” for the “One Life” canvas as the show’s original title “Between Heaven and Hell” becomes all the more real.
What a difference a year makes, huh “One Life to Live” fans? Looking back through the Soap Opera Network archives, I happened upon the last column that I had written. It was November 30, 2011, nearly two weeks after Prospect Park made the now infamous decision to scrap their plans to revive “OLTL” online, just five days after the soap wrapped production on its ABC run. And now here we are just over a year later, with that plan seemingly resurrected and “One Life,” along with sister soap “All My Children,” a month away from resuming production for new episodes on the internet.
Earlier today we reported on word that Prospect Park would not be airing online episodes of “All My Children” and “One Life to Live” on TOLN/The OnLine Network, as had originally been expected, following today’s announcement by the company that Hulu, the green internet hub owned by The Walt Disney Company, Comcast and News Corp., had acquired digital distribution rights to both series via Hulu’s subscription and free-to-view platforms. In a posting on its Tumblr page, Hulu clarified that news report.