How WATCH ABC Changes Will Affect Viewing of 'GH,' 'The View' and 'The Chew'; Shows Also on Hulu Plus

How WATCH ABC Changes Will Affect Viewing of ‘GH,’ ‘The View’ and ‘The Chew’; Shows Also on Hulu Plus

 
Topic:
Michael Logan
Bob D'Amico/ABC

Bob D’Amico/ABC

As Soap Opera Network first noted last week, actor Jack Wagner has quietly returned to the set of ABC’s “General Hospital” as he reprises the role of Frisco Jones on the daytime soap. According to set side sources and a recent report by TV Guide‘s Michael Logan, Wagner’s return will coincide with “GH’s” 50th Anniversary celebration. While details are scarce, sources tell Soap Opera Network that the network will kick off a week long celebration beginning with the Monday, April 1 broadcast that also happens to be the same day “General Hospital” aired its first episode 50 years prior.

Read More >>



Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images

Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images

On Monday, January 7, former “General Hospital” star Steve Burton (ex-Jason Morgan) will appear on CBS’ “The Talk” with a huge announcement, according to a promo released Friday by the network. Does that mean he will announce his joining “The Young and the Restless?” It’s definitely a possibility!

It was back in August when Daytime Confidential first reported that Burton would likely be departing “GH” after opting not to renew his contract with the series. Shortly afterward, Soap Opera Network began hearing rumblings over at CBS that former “GH” executive producer and current EP at “The Young and the Restless,” Jill Farren Phelps, was hoping to snag the star over to daytime’s most watched soap. Of course, Burton himself played down those rumors in an exit interview with Michael Logan a few days later. “Jill is one of my dearest friends. [Laughs] I’m never going to say never because, as soon as I do, I’ll be popping up over there!” said Burton at the time. Late last month, Logan reported that he was now hearing Burton was joining “Y&R” in a major role.

Read More >>



Although they weren’t listed with the other “Hot” stuff in TV Guide Magazine‘s Annual “Hot List” issue (pages 16-35), “General Hospital” earned a spot under Michael Logan‘s Daytime Highlights column (page 84) with the heading “Hot Again,” while NBC’s “Days of our Lives” also made the cut under the heading “Hot Days, Hotter Nights” courtesy of daytime’s hottest (and only) gay on screen couple, Will Horton (Chandler Massey) and Sonny Kiriakis (Freddie Smith).

Read More >>



Photo Credit: Twitter

For more than 12 years Sean Kanan has been portraying the role of the flawed Deacon Sharpe on CBS’ “The Bold and the Beautiful” and “The Young and the Restless,” but for fans of “General Hospital” he is best known for his portrayal of AJ Quartermaine. Last seen in 1997 as AJ went toe-to-toe with Carly Roberts (now Carly Jacks) as played by Sarah Brown, fans were shocked to find the role recast with actor Billy Warlock. According to published reports, Kanan had been fired by then executive producer Wendy Riche because of issues relating to alcohol use. In 2005, Warlock’s AJ was killed off by a psychotic psychiatrist, but after a 15 year absence from the canvas does Kanan’s return mean the show has decided to undo AJ’s death?

In an interview with TV Guide‘s Michael Logan, Kanan says, “GH’ is one of those places I never thought I’d see again and that makes what’s happened even more exciting. My life has changed completely since those days. I’m newly married and have a baby on the way. I also have an 11-year-old daughter and four stepchildren. I’m not the guy I used to be.” It was announced last week that Kanan and his new bride Michele were expecting their first child together.

Earlier this week Kanan returned to “B&B” for a short stint as Deacon prepares to close out another chapter of his life. When he returns to “GH” expect to see Kanan for the long haul. “Frank [Valentini, Executive Producer] also put his money where his mouth is and gave me a contract,” says Kanan. “These days, in this environment and this economy, there are not a lot of soap contracts being handed out. So, needless to say, I’m extremely happy. I can’t wait to see what the writers come up with!”

Kanan is scheduled to mark his return to the ABC drama series on Monday, October 29. One week earlier (Monday, October 22), former co-star and on screen brother Steve Burton, who has portrayed Jason Morgan on the soap for more than 20 years, will end his run as he and his family move to Tennessee.

ABC has not commented on whether Kanan is returning as AJ, a new character or quite possibly a recast Jason Quartermaine.



Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images

Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images

TV Guide‘s Michael Logan pulls off another exclusive! In an interview with Steve Burton, the actor reveals that he has in fact decided to leave ABC’s “General Hospital” after two decades at the drama series. First joining the cast in 1991, Burton had portrayed the role of Jason Quartermaine turned Morgan. He left the series in 2000, but returned in 2002, and has remained at the show ever since. He’s also appeared on the “GH” spinoff, “General Hospital: Night Shift,” during the SOAPnet original series’ first season.

According to Burton, it was his contract coming up and his desire to move his family to Tennessee that resulted in him making this important life changing decision. “I’ve been through 21 years of ups and downs with ‘GH’ — regime changes, cast and crew changes, budget cuts, shakeups of one kind or another, and it’s been nothing but a huge positive in my life and for my family. I have no complaints, no negative feelings at all. But it’s time to go. I’m going to take some time off and do nothing but relax, just enjoy life a little bit with my wife and kids,” said Burton to TV Guide.

The actor also revealed that his next career move will be working on a project with James Franco (ex-Franco) and Jill Farren Phelps (former executive producer of “GH,” now at the helm of “Y&R”). “Jill went off and did that telenovela ‘Hollywood Heights’ [at Nickelodeon] and James did a day’s work there. Suddenly he decides he wants to make one of his own novelas through his production company and we’re like, ‘Huh?’ So the three of us collaborated on an idea and came up with a really good one. Jill will EP it, I’ll produce and star in it and so will James. We’ll be able to get a lot of great cameos and guest stars because of James’ connections. It’ll be a fun show to do.”

As for rumors of him possibly joining “Y&R,” Burton says, “Jill is one of my dearest friends. [Laughs] I’m never going to say never because , as soon as I do, I’ll be popping up over there! Here’s the thing: As cool as it was to know I had a nice, cushy place to go every day with ‘GH,’ I think it’s going to be just as cool to not have a nice, cushy place to go every day. I like not knowing what’s next for a change. I’m jumping off a cliff in a total leap of faith.”

Burton is expected to complete filming at “General Hospital” on Tuesday, September 25, but he has informed the show that, if necessary, he would be willing to stay on little longer to help wrap his characters storyline. Whatever the case may be, look for the actor to air through at least the end of October or sometime in November.



Frank Ockenfels/E! Entertainment

After her character was shamed out of Salem last year prior to the major “Days of our Lives” reboot, Nadia Bjorlin is returning to the NBC Daytime drama series in the coming months as a “stronger and more confident Chloe [Lane] who can really stand up for herself and not be bullied,” so says the actress in an interview with TV Guide Magazine‘s Michael Logan.

According to TV Guide, Bjorlin begins filming at “DAYS” in late September, but she won’t make it to air until January 4, 2013, which is an unusual length of time from film to air, unless you work at “DAYS,” which for the past several years has been filming months ahead of airdate in order to save on production costs.

Read More >>



In an exclusive interview with TV Guide‘s Michael Logan, Bradley Bell, Executive Producer and Head Writer of “The Bold and the Beautiful,” has revealed that he plans on recasting the role of Ridge Forrester now that Ronn Moss is departing the series after filming his final scenes later today.

Bell, who only found out that Moss opted not to renew his contract on Thursday, August 9, tells Logan that losing Moss is a “huge” deal. Ultimately he’s “very sad but also very grateful for the 25 years we did have with him. Ronn is a wonderful man and a great actor and he’ll be sorely missed.”

For those wondering how Bell plans to write the character off the canvas, albeit temporarily, Bell says, “I went ahead and wrote a wedding for Ridge and Brooke [Katherine Kelly Lang] — a real retrospective sort of wedding that honors the characters’ 25-year relationship — and then I have them take off on a honeymoon. I’ve been in this business long enough to know I have to protect my show. The worst thing happened but at least I was prepared.” Images of what looked to be a supposed wedding popped up on Facebook on Saturday, August 11, just moments before news broke of Moss’s departure from “B&B.”

“Ridge will not be dead or presumed dead. He will just not be in the picture. I don’t want to do a presumed death because I don’t want the story that follows to be all about Ridge. This will be a Brooke story,” says Bell. “Ridge is a pivotal part of the show and he will be back in a matter of time…and probably not all that much time. I will continue writing for the character. I’m looking at this in two phases, really. There will be a period of time without Ridge, which is where some new, interesting avenues for Brooke will come into play. But at some point it will be necessary for Ridge to return to the show. Who will be playing the role at that point remains to be seen.”

According to Bell, Moss’ last airdate is scheduled for Friday, September 14.

For the full Bell interview, head on over to TV Guide‘s website.



Monty Brinton/CBS

(SoapOperaNetwork.com) — According to TV Guide‘s Michael Logan, CBS’ “The Bold and the Beautiful” is bringing Sean Kanan back into the fold as the soap plans to reintegrate Deacon Sharpe onto the canvas beginning next month. Since 2009, the character had been living it up on network sibling “The Young and the Restless” as part of a connection he built with Nikki Newman (Melody Thomas Scott) in Genoa City.

For those of you who remember, Deacon is the father of Hope Logan from an affair he had with her mother Brooke Logan (Katherine Kelly Lang) back in the early 2000′s (Deacon was on “B&B” from 2000 to 2005). While exact details are unknown as to why he has returned to Los Angeles, it wouldn’t be surprising to see him deeply involved in the soaps current pill-popping storyline that recently married Hope finds herself in.

Will Daddy help or hurt his baby girl? Tune in to find out beginning Thursday, May 24 on CBS.



Mitchell Haaseth/NBC

(SoapOperaNetwork.com) – In an interview posted earlier today by TV Guide‘s Michael Logan, it looked like “Days of our Lives” Co-Executive Producer Greg Meng was alluding to the possible ouster of actress Sarah Brown when he stated “we also brought in the wonderful Sarah Brown [Madison James] and threw her into a lot of material very quickly. Maybe too much too quickly.” Sadly, it looks like he was indeed commenting on Brown’s character on the show in past tense.

Soap Opera Digest is reporting that Christie Clarke (Carrie Brady), Patrick Muldoon (Austin Reed), Matthew Ashford (Jack Devereaux) and Brown are all being let go in what is being now being called phase one of the mass firings expected at NBC’s “Days of our Lives.”

In the case of Clarke, Muldoon and Ashford, the trio returned to “DAYS” in September as part of the soaps big reboot. Brown joined the cast in early October as the first new character introduced by recently ousted head writers Marlene McPherson and Darrell Ray Thomas, Jr.

Last airdates are unknown at this time as a representative was unavailable for comment at press time, however, considering “Days of our Lives” currently films three months ahead of airdate and the new writing teams material is scheduled to hit the air in mid-August, per Meng, look for the quad to last air in August.

Stay tuned to Soap Opera Network as this breaking story continues to develop.



Thomas A. Montalto/MontaltoPhotos.com

TV Guide‘s Michael Logan got the first real interview with “Days of our Lives” Co-Executive Producer Greg Meng, just days after the soap fired its head writing team and replaced them with the team of Gary Tomlin and Christopher Whitesell. In the interview, Meng promises some epic firings in the coming months!

Although many speculated the reasoning behind Marlene McPherson and Darrell Ray Thomas, Jr.‘s ouster from the NBC daytime drama series, only Meng was able to shed light on how things went down. “We spoke with the network and collectively felt we needed to take a pause, make a change with the writing and the style of the show for a while and see if that will redirect things. The ratings situation is very complex and difficult, and we have a tremendous challenge with that right now,” Meng said to Logan. “Everybody on the ‘DAYS’ team, and that includes NBC and Sony, our distributor, wants this show to succeed and we’re doing everything we can to make it work. We all have different visions as to how to achieve that success but the good news is that we’re all in synch on the future. No one wants cancellation. Even though we brought in Darrell and Marlene to reset ‘DAYS’ last September, it was always our feeling that the show needed to constantly be nurtured with smaller resets. This isn’t the end of the world. We’re just resetting it again in an effort to get it right.”

Read More >>









Recent Information



Follow Us on Twitter