With a resume that includes “High School Musical” and several other dancing performances, it’s no secret that “One Life to Live’s” Corbin Bleu (Jeffrey King) knows how to get down and boogie. But the actor went the extra mile on last night’s episode of “Dancing with the Stars,” performing a contemporary number with partner Karina Smirnoff that impressed America — and the judges!
Monday, August 13 was the day to watch ABC’s “Good Morning America” as the morning show revealed the dance partners for the upcoming season of “Dancing with the Stars,” dubbed the “All Star” edition. With Kelly Monaco‘s (Sam McCall, “General Hospital”) former dance partner Alec Mazo (pictured left, with Monaco) currently appearing in “Dance Temptation,” with Edyta Sliwinska, and no longer appearing on the series (he last appeared during season nine), the actress has been assigned to Valentin Chmerkovskiy, who returns for his third season.
Monaco was the first winner of the infamous mirror ball trophy and helped launch the competition series into the hit it became in the summer of 2005. Joining her for the all star edition will be Kirstie Alley, Shawn Johnson, Drew Lachey, Apolo Anton Ohno, Emmitt Smith, Joey Fatone, Pamela Anderson, Helio Castroneves, Melissa Rycroft, Gilles Marini, and Bristol Palin.
Carson Kressley, Sabrina Bryan, and Kyle Massey are vying for the 13th and final position in the all-star edition of “Dancing with the Stars.” Fans are being asked to vote for one of the three as part of a show first being called “Viewers’ Choice: All Star.” Fans can logon to ABC.com/DancingwiththeStars, presented by Diet Pepsi, and cast their votes now through Friday, August 24 at 3:00 PM ET/12:00 PM PT, with the winner announced live on Monday, August 27during “Good Morning America.”
What follows is the list of other celebrities competing and their dancing partners:
- Kirstie Alley is re-teaming with Maksim Chmerkovskiy, who returns for his 13th season.
- Pamela Anderson will be joined by Tristan MacManus, who returns for his third season.
- Helio Castroneves is dancing with Chelsie Hightower, who returns for a seventh season.
- Joey Fatone is getting Kym Johnson, who is entering season number 12.
- Shawn Johnson has luck on her side as she’s teamed with Derek Hough, who returns for his 10th season.
- Drew Lachey won season two, but instead of Cheryl Burke he’s getting Anna Trebunskaya, who returns for her 10th season as well.
- Gilles Marini took his “Dancing” fame to “Brothers & Sisters,” but Peta Murgatroyd isn’t related to him. She returns for her third season.
- Apolo Anton Ohno gets Karina Smirnoff, who has 12 seasons under her belt.
- Bristol Palin returns to the floor with help from her former partner Mark Ballas, who has enjoyed 11 season on the series.
- Melissa Rycroft gets Tony Dovolani, who, in the video below, reveals he’s excited about getting his name back from “poor Tony” to “Tony,” referring to the infamous Kate Gosselin debacle. He returns for his 14th season on the show!
- Emmitt Smith got Burke, who is also returning for a 14th season on the show.
For a look at the “GMA” announcement, watch the video below.
The new season of “Dancing with the Stars” premieres Monday, September 24 at 8:00 PM ET/PT on ABC.
(SoapOperaNetwork.com) — Days after being declared one of the Sexiest Men Alive by People Magazine in the Special Double Issue on newsstands right now, J.R. Martinez achieved what many fully expected and took home the mirror ball trophy on “Dancing With the Stars.” Tonight, season thirteen’s most charming – and naturally talented – contestant beat out talk-show host and film actor Ricki Lake and her professional partner Derek Hough as well as reality television personality Rob Kardashian and his professional partner Cheryl Burke to help bring his professional partner Karina Smirnoff her first “DWTS” win in no less than ten attempts.
The former “All My Children” star follows in the footsteps of “General Hospital” star Kelly Monaco (Sam) who won the competition in its inaugural season back in the summer of 2005. Before her winning run with Martinez, professional dancer Smirnoff’s best showing was opposite entertainment personality Mario Lopez in season three of “DWTS.” She finished in second place. On tonight’s edition of the popular dance competition, Martinez and Smirnoff were up against “DWTS” two most successful professional dancers ever. Lake’s partner, Hough, has delivered wins with three partners including current “DWTS” host Brooke Burke, singer Nicole Scherzinger, and actress Jennifer Grey; meanwhile, Kardashian’s partner, Burke has taken singer Drew Lachey and football legend Emmit Smith to the end.
Iraq war veteran, veterans’ issues advocate and motivational speaker Martinez instantly won over millions of new fans after first showing off his impressive dancing skills and equally impressive personality on “DWTS” earlier this fall. Click here for a look at the journey Martinez has taken since then and what’s up next for the fan favorite. In the immediate future look for Martinez and partner Smirnoff to show up on “Jimmy Kimmel Live” on Wednesday, November 23 at 12:05 AM EST. Martinez and Smirnoff will then join their fellow finalists on “Good Morning America” at 7 AM EST on Wednesday morning. Later that morning, they’ll join runners-up Kardashian and Burke on “The View.”
“DWTS” returns for Season 14 on Monday, March 19, 2012 on ABC.
(SoapOperaNetwork.com) — With an amazing spirit that shines from the inside out and a very quick learning curve, Iraq war veteran and motivational speaker J.R. Martinez wasted little time winning over legions of “All My Children” fans after joining the cast of the popular daytime drama in November of 2008. The fearless 28-year old has gone on to win over the hearts of millions more since joining the cast of ABC’s “Dancing With the Stars.” Along with soaring to the top of the leaderboard on the popular dance show, the actor has emerged as arguably the most popular star of the 13th season and a role model to many who may have never heard of him before.
On November 1, Rick Jackson, the President of the Tournament of Roses announced the appointment of Martinez as Grand Marshal of the annual event that airs on January 2. The events theme for 2012 is “Just Imagine…” The theme celebrates the power of imagination, inspiration and determination to encourage people to reach higher and try harder. Jackson felt Martinez was the perfect embodiment of “Just Imagine…” Along with leading off the Rose Parade, Martinez will also toss the coin before the 98th Rose Bowl college football game. Former Grand Marshals of the event include Bob Hope, Richard Nixon, Walt Disney, Roy Rogers, Hank Aaron, Charles Schulz, Frank Sinatra, Gregory Peck and George Lucas to name just a few.
On Monday, November 7, Martinez earned a Tri-Union Diversity Award, along with the likes of television legend Bill Cosby. The Tri-Union Diversity Award is awarded by the three major unions covering actors – the Actors’ Equity Association (AEA), the American Federation of Television and Radio Actors (AFTRA) and the Screen Actors Guild (SAG). The award celebrates performers and organizations that “have taken an active stand to make a difference toward a more representational, multicultural community by helping build a foundation for diversity within the industry.” Martinez was chosen for the honor for providing a strong voice to both burn victims and disabled veterans in the industry as a performer on both “AMC” and “DWTS.”
Just this past Friday, which happened to be Veterans Day, Martinez enjoyed his second visit to “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.” His first appearance was as a scheduled guest on October 12. The actor who within a month of his deployment to Iraq in 2003 suffered severe burns to nearly half of his body when his Humvee hit a land mine recently shared his personal story of triumph over tragedy with People Magazine for a cover story. He is on the cover of the November 7 issue. The aforementioned honors are not exactly everyday occurances for current or former daytime actors who have not made it in prime-time or films nor for war veterans. Along with being a fixture on entertainment shows such as EXTRA, Martinez also made a special guest appearance on “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” for its Veterans Day episode.
On “DWTS,” Martinez continues to show-off his quick learning curve and, in a first for the season, earned not just one but two consecutive perfect scores with partner Karina Smirnoff in the 8th week of competiton. On Monday, considered the favorite to take the top spot, Martinez joined soccer player Hope Solo, reality star Rob Kardashian, and probably his most fierce competition, talk show host Ricki Lake in the semifinals. Despite obvious discomfort from an ankle he injured in practice this past weekend, Martinez earned high marks for his efforts but landed in third place as Kardashian continued to show improvement. Tune in to “DWTS” tonite to see if Martinez makes it to the Finals scheduled to begin airing on Monday, November 21. Having made it to the semifinals in the current season of competition, Martinez has already out-danced former “AMC” co-stars and former “DWTS” competitors Cameron Mathison (finished in 5th place in season 5), Susan Lucci (finished in 6th place in season 7) and Aiden Turner (finished in 9th place in season 10).
(SoapOperaNetwork.com) — This evening, ABC confirmed the list of contestants for the 13th season of “Dancing with the Stars.” The list leaked earlier today on Twitter proved to be accurate. Both lists included actor J.R. Martinez, 28, from “All My Children.” Martinez is a veteran of the Iraq war and a highly sought-after motivational speaker for the causes that effect his fellow veterans. He joined the 41-year old ABC soap as Brot Monroe in November of 2008. Martinez follows in the foot steps of former “DWTS” winner Kelly Monaco (Sam, “General Hospital”) and his “AMC” co-stars and former “DWTS” contestants Cameron Mathison (Ryan) Susan Lucci (Erica) and Aiden Turner (ex-Aidan).
Joining Martinez will be a slew of figures from the entertainment (actors, reality stars, commentators, and musicians) and sports world including:
- Elizabetta Canalis, 32: Canalis is a stunning Italian actress. To the world at large Canalis is best known as the former long-term flame of mega-star George Clooney.
- Kristin Cavalleri, 24: Cavalleri is an aspiring actress and a successful reality television star. She starred on MTV’s reality hits “Laguna Beach” and “The Hills.”
- Nancy Grace, 51: Grace is a former prosecutor and an outspoken television host, journalist and legal correspondent.
- Ricki Lake, 42: Lake is best known for her daytime talk show “Ricki Lake.” The gab fest aired for ten seasons on syndication from 1993 thru 2004. Lake is also a successful actress.
- Chynna Phillips, 43: Phillips is best known for being one third of the successful 1980s musical trio Wilson Phillips. Phillips is married to William Baldwin.
- Hope Solo, 31: Is an America soccer goalkeeper. She is the starting goalkeeper for the United States Women’s National Soccer Team.
- David Arquette, 39: Arquette is an actor, writer, director and screenwriter. He most notably starred in the “Scream” series of films. Arquette was married to Courtney Cox (“Friends” and “Cougar Town”). He’s recently been in the news due to substance abuse problems.
- Ron Artest, 31: The Queens, New York native won his first NBA Championship in 2010 with the Los Angeles Lakers. Artest was drafted to the NBA in 1999 by the Chicago Bulls. The talented athlete has been a controversial personality on-and-off the court.
- Chaz Bono, 42: Chaz is the son of legendary pop icon Cher and partner Sonny Bono. Chaz was born a female named Chastity.
- Rob Kardashian, 24: Kardashian is a reality television star. He stars on E!’s “Keeping Up with the Kardashian’s” and “Khloe and Lamar.”
- Carson Kressley, 41: Kressley is a fashion guru and commentator. He’s hosted such fashion oriented shows as “Queer Eye,” “How to Look Good Naked” and “Carson Nation.”
The professional dancers scheduled to partner with these performers include Cheryl Burke, Kym Johnson, Karina Smirnoff, Lacey Schwimmer, Anna Trebunskaya, Tony Dovolani, Derek Hough, Mark Ballas, Maksim Chmerkoviskiy, Val Chmerkoviskiy and Tristan MacManus.
(SoapOperaNetwork.com) — Just days before next cycle’s “Dancing with the Stars” cast is announced during Monday’s episode of ABC’s “Bachelor Pad,” comes word that actor Jack Wagner, who portrays Nick Marone on CBS’ “The Bold and the Beautiful,” is rumored to be joining the cast in the upcoming 11th season of the hit ABC reality-competition series.
While ABC has had soap stars from the past and present appear on the series over the years, it was always someone from within the ABC/Disney family including the likes of “All My Children’s” Susan Lucci and Cameron Mathison, along with Aiden Turner who appeared in this past spring’s 10th season just after being fired from the ABC soap. “General Hospital’s” Kelly Monaco won it all in the first season of the program in the summer of 2005. Another notable alum is former “SoapTalk” (which aired on Disney cable network SOAPnet) co-host Lisa Rinna. When pressed for a response an ABC spokesman reminds us that the “network does not respond to casting rumors.”
While Jack Wagner portrayed the role of Frisco Jones on ABC’s “General Hospital” from 1983-1988, 1989-1991, 1994 and 1995, it is highly unlikely that the network would be willing to help promote a rivals competing series, so the chances of him appearing are slim. Meanwhile, Mario Lopez was the closest a daytime soap star from another network has ever come to appearing on the show as he had just completed a brief stint on “B&B” just before “Dancing’s” second season premiere in 2006. He finished second with partner Karina Smirnoff.
The official cast of “Dancing with the Stars’” 11th season will be made on Monday, August 30 during ABC’s “Bachelor Pad.”
Stay tuned to Soap Opera Network and for all the latest developments relating to this story.