May sweeps are a month away, but it looks like the upcoming onscreen drama won’t be able to hold a candle to the real-life drama brewing between Prospect Park’s “One Life to Live” and ABC’s “General Hospital.”
After Prospect Park’s plans to reboot both “OLTL” and “All My Children” for the web fell through in November 2011, the company was approached by ABC who was interested in transplanting the characters of Todd Manning, Starr Manning and John McBain to Port Charles as portrayed by their originators Roger Howarth, Kristen Alderson and Michael Easton. The understanding at the time between ABC and Prospect Park was that the characters would be utilized on “GH” until plans to reboot “OLTL” came back into play as Prospect Park didn’t want to hold the Llanview 3 from working. Since their debuts in Port Charles in early 2012, the characters have tested very high with both viewers and focus groups and have played a large role in the overall audience growth for “GH” compared to its 2011 performance in the Nielsen ratings. Unfortunately, things behind the scenes weren’t looking as good.
When Ingo Rademacher (Jasper “Jax” Jacks) was announced as a celebrity dancer on “Dancing with the Stars” for the competition series’ 16th season, many avid “General Hospital” fans wisely guessed the actor’s dancing chops would be tested as part of a cross-promotional opportunity between ABC’s primetime juggernaut and the networks daytime soap staple.
Entertainment Weekly is exclusively reporting that Rademacher and Vanessa Marcil (Brenda Barrett) are returning to “GH” for more than a few weeks as the daytime drama series prepares to celebrate it 50th anniversary on Monday, April 1. Although a first airdate is not known at this time, Weekly says the duo are expected to hit the air before the soaps anniversary episode airs.
Unless you’ve been living under a rock lately, you’re likely already aware that Greg Vaughan (ex-Lucky Spencer, “General Hospital”) is joining “Days of our Lives” as a recast Eric Brady. What you didn’t know was his first airdate, or his characters new holy profession. Say what?
On Friday, August 10, via Entertainment Weekly, a representative of “DAYS” confirmed that Vaughan had been hired to portray the twin brother of Sami Brady (Alison Sweeney), who was last seen in Salem in July 2000 and was the first love interest of Nicole Walker (Arianne Zucker), which was the basis of Sami’s long standing feud with Nicole. The role was previously portrayed by “Supernatural” star Jensen Ackles.
After word broke on Saturday, August 11, that Ronn Moss would be departing CBS’ “The Bold and the Beautiful” after 25 short years portraying Ridge Forrester, the actor has broken his silence on Twitter.
When @MarciaHarris7 tweeted Moss and said, “u will regret your decision to leave the show..u can’t just throw away 25 years like that. .and what about us? We don’t matter?” the actor responded to the tweet with much appreciation, but also added a cryptic message. Moss’ tweet read, “You matter so much. More than you know. Will explain soon. Please be with us. We need you more than ever. All of you. Love.” The actor gave almost the exact same response to twitter follower @katka1979, who tweeted Katherine Kelly Lang (Brooke Forrester) and asked her to “please ask
@Ronn_Moss or @devindevasquez [Moss' wife] if Ronn really leaves B&B. I dont want him to leave. I cry, am sad.” Moss replied to the tweet and said, “Try not to be sad. Will explain in a couple days. Hang in there with us. We love you guys.”
What Moss (@Ronn_Moss) may be alluding to by saying he’ll explain in a couple of days is that on Tuesday, August 14, he will tape his final episodes as a contracted cast member of the drama series. He may not be able to speak openly about his reasons for leaving until his contract cycle has expired. Additionally, when CBS renewed “The Bold and the Beautiful” in November 2010, it was only a two-year deal that carried the series on the network through the upcoming 2012-2013 television season. With budget cuts expected in order to ensure the show continues beyond this coming season, it’s only logical that some drastic measures have to be made – including the loss of a major star like Moss, who reportedly refused a cut in his salary, which is the primary reason for his departure according to Entertainment Weekly.
I can’t even tell you all how much I LOVE YOU all so frickin’ much. You’re the best. The Best!!
— Ronn Moss (@Ronn_Moss) August 12, 2012
In a bit of irony, “The Bold and the Beautiful” is the only soap to increase its audience season to date (September 19, 2011 through August 5, 2012) in both households (2.4 vs 2.2) and Women 18-49 rating (1.1 vs 0.9) compared to the 2010-2011 television season (September 20, 2010 through September 18, 2011). Additionally, “B&B” went from a tie for fifth place (out of six soaps) in the key sales demo from the 2010-2011 season to a tie for second (out of four soaps) in the demo this season.
According to Entertainment Weekly‘s Tanner Stransky, CBS’ “The Bold and the Beautiful” is about to lose 25 year veteran Ronn Moss (Ridge Forrester) after a contract dispute between the actor and the soap opera over salary hit a snag. A rep for Bell-Phillip Television, which produces “B&B,” confirmed Moss’ exit to Weekly.
“Ronn has spent an amazing 25 years with ‘B&B,’” the rep for “B&B” said in a statement. “We will always consider him family, and we wish him only the best in all of his future endeavors.”
Moss will film his final episode on Tuesday, August 14, with his final airdate expected sometime in September.
Moss was expected to appear at Barnes & Nobles Ventura (4820 Telephone Road Ventura, CA 93003) along with “Y&R” stars Doug Davidson (Paul Williams) and Tracey E. Bregman (Lauren Fenmore) on Saturday, August 18 for a book signing of “The Young and Restless Life of William J. Bell” co-written by Soaps in Depth‘s Michael Maloney and Lee Phillip Bell. It is unclear at this time whether Moss will still be attending the event.
Since “The Bold and the Beautiful” debuted March 23, 1987 on CBS, only Moss, Susan Flannery (Stephanie Forrester), Katherine Kelly Lang (Brooke Forrester) and John McCook (Eric Forrester) have remained part of its core cast.
Entertainment Weekly‘s Lynette Rice gives viewers their first look at the DAYSaster as it continues on Monday, August 13 with the return of “Days of our Lives” to NBC.
(SoapOperaNetwork.com) — Hillary B. Smith (Nora) opens up to Entertainment Weekly about the decision by Prospect Park not to proceed with previous plans to relaunch “One Life to Live” online after it ends its ABC Daytime run on January 13, 2012, and what the future would have held for her alter ego.
“It was a noble attempt and I believe they really wanted to do this,” the actress tells EW, and admits that she believed the production company was “biting off a lot” by planning continue “OLTL” and sister soap “All My Children” on the Internet. “I’m just sad for the fans. I think this was a very ambitious project for a company with no history of the technology. I do wish there had been more communication between the company and those who’d signed on. We were finding out a lot in the press.”
Smith also revealed that she had previously reached a tentative deal with Prospect Park to continue with the show, alongside 13 of her “One Life” co-stars, during the soap’s transition and that she and onscreen husband Robert S. Woods (Bo) filmed different ending for their characters. “I can’t say [if it'll be satisfying enough if there's no continuation]. I don’t know exactly the whole ending. I want to be able to watch it myself. I know that they shot a couple of different endings for Bo and I. I have an idea which they’ll use. But I don’t know the ending for the show,” she adds.
As for the last seven weeks of “One Life’s” television run, Smith encourages fans to keep watching until the last episode airs. “We’re still here through January. I want them to enjoy this journey. It’s really going to be fun through the end. It’d be nice if a knight in shining armor came riding up to save us but even if that doesn’t happen, it will be a fun ride to the end.”
(SoapOperaNetwork.com) — On Sunday, November 13, The New York Times reported that American Media, Inc., which earlier this year purchased the licensing rights of both Soap Opera Digest and Soap Opera Weekly from owner Source Interlink, in which the company now oversees all aspects including editorial, advertising, marketing and distribution, would be launching a new weekly magazine dubbed Reality Weekly.
The magazine, which is set to launch in January 2012 with a newsstand price of $1.79 per issue, has long been expected. After all, reality TV related programming and “stars” have graced the covers of People and Entertainment Weeky, and even celebrity gossip mags Us Weekly, Star (which is owned by American Media) and Life & Style. With coveted supermarket placing between both Weekly and Digest, many often wondered if, along with dwindling audience for the soaps, American Media took over the mags just for their positioning and would shutter the mags in place of magazine’s such as Reality Weekly. Thankfully, that doesn’t seem to be the case.
Although I do not personally subscribe to either Digest or Weekly, it recently came to my attention that Soap Opera Weekly no longer provides subscriptions for soap fans wishing to receive their Weekly at home as it and numerous other magazines have done since their inceptions. This was later confirmed as the magazine no longer provides an online subscription via the Zinio magazine subscription and tablet application service. Digest and Soaps in Depth (both ABC and CBS editions) continue to provide subscriptions, however.
An American Media representative told Soap Opera Network “Absolutely not!” when asked if the launch of Reality Weekly had anything to do with the company’s decision to stop providing subscriptions for Weekly. “We made it a 100 percent newsstand mag that generates a million dollars of editda per year,” the rep continued. EDITDA stands for Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization.
In an industry plagued with erosion, it’s safe to say that at least our soap magazine’s appear to have more longevity than some of the soaps themselves.
(SoapOperaNetwork.com) — Each week Entertainment Weekly puts together “The Bullseye,” a gathering of images in which “pop culture news that was right on target” for the week comes together leading to the “events that missed the mark.” For its October 7, 2011 issue, the magazine placed a “Bullseye” on “The Chew’s” Mario Batali.
The caption read “You are no Susan Lucci.”
In addition to the “Chew” piece, the star of primetime soap “Pan Am,” Christina Ricci, received the largest notice from the magazine with the caption “No full-body scans, free food: Finally, flying is fun again.”
“The Bullseye” appears on the last page of every issue of Weekly.
“The Chew” has experienced a ratings downward trend since debuting on Monday, September 26. “All My Children” aired its series finale on Friday, September 23 with some of its highest ratings in more than four years.
Entertainment Weekly’s InsideTV posted your first look at the cast of E!’s new reality series “Dirty Soap.”
Premiering Sunday, September 25 at 10:00 PM ET on E! “Dirty Soap” follows the real lives of daytime’s hottest stars including Kelly Monaco (“General Hospital”), Nadia Bjorlin (“Days of Our Lives”), Kirsten Storms (“General Hospital”), Farah Fath (“One Life To Live”), John-Paul Lavoisier (referred to as “JP” in the reality series; “One Life To Live”), and Galen Gering (“Days of Our Lives”). Also appearing in the soap will be Gering’s wife of 11 years, Jenna, who can be seen at top left.
Noticeable scenery, outside of the cast wearing some interesting attire in what appears to be a hallway, include a bar soap inside a small puddle of water, a purse that looks to have lost some items such as lipstick, a cell phone and one other unmentionable.
For a look at what you can expect from the series, here’s the official trailer: