According to a report by Daytime Confidential, ABC’s “General Hospital” will be temporarily losing the characters of Starr Manning, Todd Manning and John McBain as Prospect Park has exercised its right to utilize the characters for its online reboot from the agreement the production company signed with the Disney/ABC Domestic Television Group, part of the Walt Disney Company, back in July 2011.
Daytime Confidential‘s Jamey Giddens reported earlier today that an agreement between Prospect Park and the WGA (Writers Guild of America) had been made regarding online versions of “All My Children” and “One Life to Live.”
The big news of December 2012 was word that Prospect Park was taking another stab at moving ABC’s “All My Children” and “One Life to Live” to the web in 2013. The news was first reported by Deadline.com‘s Nellie Andreeva. In her initial reporting, Andreeva revealed that Prospect Park had made agreements with the unions SAG-AFTRA (Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists) and the DGA (Directors Guild of America). Previously, while the company had planned on debuting the shows on the web in early 2012, no deals had been signed with either union or the WGA (Writers Guild of America). This hindered the company’s plan to move forward with the shows and resulted in a postponement that was announced in November 2011. In a statement at the time, AFTRA (prior to its merger with SAG) said that they were ”deeply disappointed to read that the executives at Prospect Park have decided to suspend their efforts to produce the long-running and popular daytime serials.” Additionally, the union had said that they “remain hopeful that an opportunity to revive these two popular series will emerge in the future, and remain ready to resume discussions should that opportunity arise.” The future took more than a year, but it appears to have finally emerged. However, although a representative from SAG-AFTRA confirmed that an agreement with Prospect Park had been made when pressed for comment from Soap Opera Network early last week, it remains unclear if said agreement had actually been signed. “Not absolutely certain it had been signed but can check that for you,” said the rep. Due to the holidays, we don’t expect a response on that little detail until at least tomorrow, January 2.
Soap Opera Digest grants Daytime Confidential‘s Jamey Giddens his wish. On Wednesday, August 15, Giddens had posted a Wishful Casting report shortly after word broke that Kevin Schmidt was out as Noah Newman on CBS’” The Young and the Restless.” The writer figured that Nickelodeon’s “Hollywood Heights” actor Robert Adamson (Phil Sanders) would fit the role perfectly. Today the magazine reported on its Facebook page that Adamson is now heading to Genoa City!
According to Digest, Adamson begins taping at “Y&R” on Tuesday, September 4. His first airdate is scheduled for Monday, October 1.
Jill Farren Phelps and Josh Griffith, the newly installed executive producer and head writer, respectively, at “Y&R” also served in the same capacities at “Heights.”
No word on whether Adamson has been offered a contract. Schmidt had portrayed Noah while on recurring status.
UPDATE, 9:43 PM ET: Should Burton ultimately depart “GH,” as rumored… Soap Opera Network is hearing rumblings of the actor heading to “The Young and the Restless” now that Jill Farren Phelps is EP’ing the CBS soap. Phelps had been the executive producer of “GH” from 2001-2011.
PREVIOUS, 8:48 PM ET: Daytime Confidential is reporting that ABC’s “General Hospital” and Steve Burton (Jason Morgan) may part ways as the show has been unable to broker a new deal with the actor.
“Steve and ABC have been negotiating for quite some time and it doesn’t look like he’s going to stay,” said a source to DC.
Should Burton depart “GH,” it would mark the end of a nearly two-decade long career at the drama series. First joining the cast in 1991, Burton left the series in 2000. He returned in 2002, and has remained at the show ever since. He also appeared on the “GH” spinoff, “General Hospital: Night Shift,” during the SOAPnet original series’ first season.
A representative for “General Hospital” was unavailable for comment at press time.
(SoapOperaNetwork.com) — On Monday afternoon, Vincent Irizarry received word of Jamey Giddens‘ (of Daytime Confidential) rather strong implication on Twitter that [Irizarry's] inability to reach an agreement with production company Prospect Park along with Agnes Nixon and Lorraine Broderick’s “story projections” were a major reason Prospect Park decided to reportedly halt early production efforts to move “All My Children” to the internet. The none too pleased Daytime Emmy Award winner responded to the claim on Facebook on Monday evening.
Irizarry was provided with an unexpected birthday surprise on Saturday, November 12 when Giddens revealed that his sources had spilled that “Prospect Park’s inability to make a deal [with] Irizarry is a factor in #AMC reboot stalling. Stories were to heavily involve David… [From a branding pt., Susan Lucci was their biggest casting factor, from story it was Irizzary].” When questioned on how that deduction was possible when neither an Executive Producer or Head Writer has been hired for the soap, as opposed to sister soap “One Life to Live,” which has signed talent to the aforementioned positions for their 2.0 incarnation as well as thirteen actors, Giddens added “Agnes and Lorraine worked on story projections for the show.”
On Monday evening, along with requesting the source of the claim that was stated to him in reduced form, Irizarry responded on his official fan page on Facebook and emphatically stated that “the part re: me and Lorraine is absolute rubbish. We are certainly not the reason [Prospect Park] has put the show on hold.” (Update: 11/16/11) This evening on Twitter, Vincent neither confirmed or denied the accuracy of Giddens sources but did state he felt Giddens comments were “terribly misquoted” to him by the original poster on his Facebook page. The posters original comment stated to Irizarry that it had been “reported that that the show was put on hold…because broderick and vincent cant decide if they want to sign.”
It had been revealed as far back as October 6 that Irizarry had finally been contacted by Prospect Park to join “AMC” as it prepared to go online. This discussion had not led to a signing before the reported stall in early production; similar to the results of reported discussions with major “AMC” names including Lucci (ex-Erica Kane), Michael E. Knight (ex-Tad Martin), Rebecca Budig (ex-Greenlee Smythe), Alicia Minshew (ex-Kendall Hart) and Jacob Young (ex-JR Chandler). From the performers they reached out to, Prospect Park has only been able to secure Cameron Mathison (Ryan Lavery), Lindsay Hartley (Cara Castillo) and Darnell Williams (Jesse Hubbard).
Irizarry, who just turned a handsome 52-years old, has enjoyed a long and successful daytime carrer which began on CBS’s Guiding Light in 1984 as anti-hero Brandon “Lujack” Luvanoczeck. He played the popular role until 1986. In 1987, the actor joined the cast of Santa Barbara for a two year run as Dr. Scott Clark. Irizarry returned to the soap that put him on the map in 1991 as Nick McHenry Spaulding. He remained on the soap for five more years. Irizarry landed the role of Dr. David Hayward in November 1997 and remained an integral part of the ABC soap through to the end outside of a two year break between his two stints in Pine Valley where he landed on CBS’ “The Young and the Restless.”
(SoapOperaNetwork.com) — Even though his character recently wound up on the wrong end of a gun, Trevor St. John is reportedly returning to “One Life to Live” to make one last appearance before the show wraps production on its television run next Friday.
According to Daytime Confidential, St. John, who left “OLTL” in late August when his character Victor Lord Jr. was murdered only weeks after realizing his true identity following eight years of mistakenly believing he was his twin brother Todd Manning (Roger Howarth), will “make some kind of a return appearance to ‘One Life to Live’ before the show goes off the ABC airwaves [in January].”
It remains unclear how Victor will return to the canvas (in the flesh, as a spirit, or figment of someone’s overactive imagination), or when St. John’s next airdate might be.
(SoapOperaNetwork.com) — As previously reported, “One Life to Live” executive producer Frank Valentini will be taking over both “OLTL” and “All My Children,” when he begins his new position as Vice President, Serial Dramas, for Prospect Park immediately following the end of production for “One Life” under the guidance of ABC. Now comes word from our friends at Daytime Confidential, who are reporting that “One Life to Live” Head Writer Ron Carlivati will be joining the show when it transitions to the web beginning in January, despite ABC declaring his move to “General Hospital” in June – weeks before it was announced production company Prospect Park would be taking over production of the series from the network along with “All My Children.”
Will the dynamic duo of Frank Valentini and Ron Carlivati be reuniting for Prospect Park’s continuation of One Life to Live? That’s the word that recently had actors on the set of the sudser buzzing. According to one source, Carlivati will likely pass on moving over to General Hospital, as had been previously planned, and will continue to write story for our favorite citizens of Llanview, PA., like Kassie DePaiva’s Blair seen above with Carlivati. Keep checking back with Daytime Confidential as this interesting story develops…
A move to Prospect Park’s version of “One Life to Live” would come as quite a shock as it was on August 18, just one month ago, when an ABC rep stated plans for Carlivati’s move to “GH” are still in place “as far as [they] know.” Although they didn’t confirm nor deny anything regarding Carlivati’s status, another ABC rep today informed Soap Opera Network that “If there is an announcement to be made about someone signing with Prospect Park, it will be made by Prospect Park. They have been great about making these announcements.”
Both Carlivati and Valentini had signed long-term contracts with ABC back in September of 2010 that were to hold the duo at the network through 2012 (Valentini) and 2013 (Carlivati) respectively. Clearly, the network has been gracious with allowing both men the possibility of moving on with the show they helped position as one of daytime’s silent heroes.